A new air conditioner can be a big investment, so can the costs of continuing to repair and operate an old, inefficient unit. How are you supposed to know when it’s time to replace your ac system ?
Use these six signs to determine whether it’s time to repair or replace you air conditioning system:
- A/C System is older than 10 years. If your home’s AC System needs high-priced repairs and your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, it will often make more sense to replace it rather than repair. A newer, more efficient system will save on energy costs.
- Air conditioner is inefficient. If your air conditioning unit has a low SEER rating, it can cost you a lot of money to operate it. Currently, newly manufactured cooling system must have a SEER rating of at least 13. If your air conditioner’s SEER rating is below 13, you can cut back on your energy costs by replacing it with a new, more efficient unit.
- You’re looking at expensive repairs. Any time you’re facing an expensive repair, you’ll want to weigh the costs of the repair against the costs of a new unit. If the cost of the repair would cover more than 40% of a new system, and especially if your air conditioner is showing any of the other signs in this list, it will likely make more financial sense to replace it.
- Frequent breakdowns. Does it feel like your air conditioner is constantly breaking? Are you calling Pickerington Heating & Cooling every month because of a new problem with your unit? These repair costs can really add up, and it doesn’t make sense to keep making them on older units. Save yourself the headaches and the money by investing in a new unit.
- Your home’s temperature isn’t comfortable. Do you have a hard time keeping your home cool? This could be the sign of an aging air conditioner or even an incorrectly sized system. Regardless of the cause, you want your air conditioner to do its job! If it’s not going to keep your home cool, you’ll want to replace it with a unit that will.
- Air conditioner uses R 22 Freon. If your air conditioner uses Freon, you’ll have to replace it eventually in order to switch over to the new refrigerant (R410A). If you’re having major problems with your air conditioner, especially if they involve the need for more Freon, it’s probably a good time to replace your unit.
This could be the sign of an aging air conditioner or even an incorrectly sized system. Regardless of the cause, you want your air conditioner to do its job! If it’s not going to keep your home cool, you’ll want to replace it with a unit that will.
If you suspect your system needs replacing, is failing, or you ‘d like to explore the costs involved with purchase of a replacement A/C system, please contact Pickerington Heating & Cooling at 614-837-4026. Our offices are open 7:00 am to 9:00 pm weekdays; 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Saturday & Sunday; emergency air conditioner (A/C) service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.